Sunday, September 3, 2017

Open Fishbone Stitch

I worked this stitch in three different ways.  This is a photo of the back of the work.  Two ways produced the right leaf and the last produced the left image
I don't think the front of the work looks any different.  The difference in the stitching is related to maintaining the slant.  In the final analysis the stitch is formed by a succession of pairs of slanted stitches.  If you start the stitch at the center stem and cross over for the next stitch horizontally you end up using a lot of extra thread and you constantly have to stretch the thread to keep your work flat.  I decided to move from one pair of stitches to the next along the exterior edges.  I need to work on keeping the slant.  If you get a good slant on the first stitch , I think you can try to maintain it by laying the needle along the previous slant to get a good parallel stitch for the next pair of stitches.  I have fifteen more leaves with which to practice.

Update:  My efforts at stitching down the outside edges just does not have the same look as the extra horizontal threads in the back so I am reverting to the other method and I am stitching down the center stem.  I still cannot get the slanting I need.  More practice is needed to effect a better result.

No comments:

Post a Comment